Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Writing and Exercise

Well, we all knew that this one was coming, right?  I feel that this is an important subject to blog about.  When I first started writing and networking, I used to see Tweets and facebook updates from authors about constantly going to the gym and keeping in shape.  I'll be honest, I used to think that they were crazy.  I'll admit, I'm not one much for exercise, but lately, I've had my eyes opened and checked so to speak.  Exercise and writing go hand in hand.

We spend all that time sitting in one place for hours on end most of the time.  Most of the time our Muse just takes over, and when we are in the zone, we don't want to stop, am I right? Of course I am!  It is VERY important to get up and stretch, and take a break for at least ten minutes every now and then.  We're professional writer's aren't we?  We should be able to turn our muse on and off whenever we want.

I know that exercise and stretching is very important from personal experience.  I have arthritis in both legs and my left elbow, and it gets very painful for me to sit in one place for more than an hour at a time sometimes.  I just had a conversation with my Rheumetologist, and she thinks that my lack of taking breaks and exercising could be what is making my arthritis worse.  And you know what?  She might not be totally wrong.

It's very tempting to sit or lay in one spot with your laptop on your lap (especially if you are writing in bed & snug under the covers.).  But in reality, if you don't give your body exercise and get some fresh air every now and then, that lack of fresh oxygen could do more harm then good.

Same thing goes for eating and creativity.  It's important to make sure that you eat a healthy and balanced diet  to ensure that your brain functions properly.  Have you ever noticed that when you're hungry, you don't concentrate as well?  When you're stomach growls, like really growls at you and you're losing focus, make sure you stop.  Get up and stretch, go to the fridge and grab a snack, and take a breather.  Trust me, you will feel MUCH better after words, and your Muse will be happy that you're taking care of it!

So, take it from someone who has experience...exercise and a decent diet plays a big roll in the writing process.

No comments:

Post a Comment